Sunday, January 22, 2006

Click 2 Meet and H.323


It's interesting the way things seem to happen. I went to an EEZ meeting on Thursday. EEZ (Educational Enterprise Zone) is a group of videoconferencing providers and receivers (not that one excludes the other) in the NYS area. This meeting was looking at some newer technologies. Video E-mails, Elluminate and Videostreaming were the soup d'jour. I came away thinking what about H.323 and our sophisticated room systems? Are they now the latest technology dinosaurs in our schools? Just as I was reflecting on this and thinking of writing something in my blog, I got an e-mail from someone I was working with on a school to school collaboration in England. He basically said that their schools use a software called Click 2 Meet. He told me it was not compatible with our Polycoms and suggested I get a web cam and download the software. I was frustrated. I have a Cadillac and he is asking me to leave it in the garage and get my bicycle. I was just about to get out my trusty i-sight when I thought let me put it out there and see what other videoconferencers are doing. So, I sent an e-mail to the Megaconference VII listserv. The e-mails started coming in with a host of suggestions and comments. There does seem to be a way to stay with our more sophisticated technology when we videoconference with schools who do not have an H.323 system. Now I haven't actually tried a connection but the e-mails sound hopeful. The people I are am now in touch with are the real deal. For example I received an e-mail from the person who manages the UK Videoconferencing Project. He was very positive on our classrooms connecting. I liked that he said "that the quality of a Click to Meet videoconference is not the same as an H.323 videoconference, but can be adequate for schools that are "getting started with videoconferencing". Anyway, I'll let you know how our vc goes as I hope to make this UK connection soon.

2 comments:

John said...

hi
Look forward to your next post!
jx

Anonymous said...

Advice About Bicycle InsuranceI thought that I needed to insure my bicycle against theft. Ive heard that bikes get stolen every day in my city and I want bicycle insurance to cover my investment. I am very careful about locking my bike up every time I get off of it. I use a really nice U-Lock and wear the key on a chain around my neck. I found out that one of my friends was dating an insurance salesman and contacted him with my questions.I asked him about bicycle insurance and he said that my homeowners or renters insurance policy would cover my bicycle if it was stolen. He said that there were a lot of limitations and exclusions, though. He said that my bike would probably have to be stolen from my home to be fully insured.I was thinking that if I had bicycle insurance and my bike was stolen, insurance money would buy me a new one. That turned out to be untrue. The agent I talked to told me that if my bike was covered, I would be reimbursed for the value of a new model, less depreciation for every year old my bicycle was. Im thinking that, depending on the rate of depreciation, I may end up owing money if my old bike was stolen!The agent I talked to told me that I had to maintain good records for bicycle insurance. He told me to take a photo inventory of my possessions and to keep receipts. He also said that any time I am making a claim against an insurance policy for theft; I need to have a police report attached to the form. It is also very important to be accurate when declaring the value of the property stolen.To learn more about everything bicycles vist my site at: BrensMartUSA Bicycles Have a geat day and stay healthy!Brenda Sue